Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

Response to Diana’s “Should the Father have a say?”





I must say this post was refreshing as it looked into a new perspective on the topic of abortion. I spoke mostly about teen pregnancy rather than abortion in my last post so I’ll dive into the subject of abortion here.
300 abortions in Canada a day? Wow this is bananas! This should a big red flashing sign screaming warning to the next teens that decide to have unprotected sex.
I definitely think that an abortion should be the decision of both the female and male in the relationship however I do believe that the girl should have the final decision in the matter. She is the one who is going through the big change in her body and she will ultimately be the one who takes care of the baby the most. Not to mention that she has to go through the shame of being called a “slut” for the whole 9 months of her pregnancy whenever someone at school or on the street sees her.
I don’t think it’s fair for the father to force the girl into keeping the baby when it is clear none of them can provide for the child. It should be a hard lesson to both of them that unprotected sex isn’t a joke and that pregnancy can occur at any time and any age.
A woman should always have the choice to do as she pleases with her body but in this case I can completely understand why the male would get to have a say.
I just hope that more awareness is being given in high schools over protected sex and abstinence. Waiting is okay!! I wish girls would understand that having sex doesn’t mean anything.
Everything around us is over sexualized from TV, movies, music and so on. We just have to be conscious of ourselves and detach ourselves from everything else. At the end of the day we have to be able to be happy with our own choices and live with them.
Abortion isn’t a joke and there really is no right answer to whether it’s ethical or not. Religious or not, there are too many different cases where abortion can be seen as acceptable for people to tell you otherwise.
Thanks again Diana for the great read! –I also agree with your last line. Abstinence really is key.

Xo,
Y

No comments:

Post a Comment