Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Response to Kathleen’s “Teen Pregnancy: Media Influence or Bad Parenting?”




Thank you Kathleen for such an interesting read!

I decided to respond to this post because of the utter SHOCK I had when reading it. This whole “pregnancy pact” seems so crazy to me that I have a very difficult time believing it. I just can’t wrap my head around the fact that girls want to throw their futures and their morals down the drain, and all for what?? What is to gain from being a teen mother?
When I read the story of your aunt, I had to read it twice just to make sure that I read it correctly. When I was back in grade 8, I was most definitely not thinking about getting pregnant. FOUR out of 25 students? How?? That is 16 percent of the girls she spoke to.  
Why aren’t these girls answering saying that they want to get an education and become business women, doctors, lawyers, entrepreneurs, journalists, teachers, anything other than being a teen mother. Where is the glamour in being so young and becoming a parent, a single parent at that.
In my opinion media influence and poor parenting are results of this new phenomenon. The media being these new MTV makes it seem like its okay to live this lifestyle. Bad parenting comes in from parents not teaching and advising their children about sex and specifically safe sex and how to stay protected. Teens need to understand that sex isn’t just giving into hormones it’s a sacred thing that teens need to take more seriously and realize everything that comes along with it.
If teens are so careless about sex how do they think they can raise a child?
Parents need to teach their children responsibility and values before they blame their knocked up teen daughter on the media.

Xo,
Y

No comments:

Post a Comment