Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

Dig the Knife Deeper

 

I thoroughly enjoyed this week’s lecture on many levels. Firstly I’m the least violent individual you’ll ever meet, yet I love listening to explicit rap, watch crime shows and disturbing psychological thrillers.

I immediately identified with this catharsis effect as I find myself getting this emotional feeling at the end of a violent movie, being able to walk away and leave the violence on screen. I have zero urge to go and turn violent or rage against someone if I get angry or upset. However when looking at the incapacitation effect it made me worried that I’m surrounded by crazies in the theatre.

The Dark Knight is a fantastic film and rightfully so, one of the most watched films around. Thinking about it now, I realized just how many murders and just how much violence there was in the film, and as disturbing it was when the Joker slammed a mobster’s face right into a pencil and thus killing him instantly, I couldn’t look away. The violence is haunting but you want to see more. Then I wonder are we overexposed to too much violence that watching it seems a little natural? It’s disturbing how twisted and crazy we’ve all become from being exposed to all the ugliness and raw grit of the world.

As we enter each year with promises to better society, we continue on a downward spiral of more violent crime. I had an interesting conversation with my dad about how when he was a kid it was so safe to walk out your door at any time of the night and feel safe with your surroundings. Now the minute night falls it feels like danger is looming, or at least that`s what we have started to believe in our heads. How much can we blame on media? A lot. Kids are exposed to violence at such an early age that as they continue to grow their vast knowledge of weapons and violent acts continues to grow as well. If they see their favourite rapper waving a gun while talking about “killing a bitch”, what will make them think that this behaviour is wrong if it’s glorified on the internet and on TV? As adults we can distinguish what’s right from wrong (mostly), but kids and young teens are the most influential individuals.

With psychos running rampant on the streets; society, film makers, rappers and TV executives might want to think about toning the violent imagery down and instead output a more positive image. I might be starting to sound like a parent, but I think that anything can happen at any time. And let’s get real, Huratio from CSI Miami won’t be around the corner ready to peel off his sunglasses and rescue you.

I’d love to hear your comments!

Xo,

Y

No comments:

Post a Comment